Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A Night of Dancing

Last night the ten students and two professors got dressed up because we were going out - and by out I mean we attended a dinner and reception hosted by the administration of JUST. We were told we would be graced with the presence of the President of the university, however someone was sent in his place. No worries, less formalities I had to deal with. I was able to wear my beloved outfit of all black - black dress and black cardigan accented with gold sandals and a gold necklace. This necklace I bought in the other day from a Syrian, which was distinguishable by the goods he was selling - Free Syrian Army bracelets and flags. I loved the necklace and though I don't know for sure who he is or what is affiliation is with Syria, but sometimes I like to think I do my part to help someone out.

We were worried about the chill of the night (yes, that happens here, so why didn't I bring heavier sweaters??) but it ended up being of no concern because of the amount of fun that we were having. To begin, we danced and danced the traditional dance of the region (mainly Jordan, Syria, and Palestine) called the Dabke. It is a repeating set of steps that was not channeling to master personally. But the simple steps I was taking was no where near the effort it requires to do the more exciting Dubke. So everyone holds hands and gets in a circle and you go around and around until the music stops. You move your body with the beat of the music and just feel the rhythm  But in the front of the line were these young men, students at the university, who fly through the air practically. The jump and squat and move in a way I could not imagine myself doing, especially in a long dress or skirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81SQNZLiOSM

If you watch this link, at around 20 seconds you will see what I am talking about. This is not from last night, just a reference to see how cool this dance is.

We met out language partners last night as well. We will be paired with students at the university in the coming weeks to help us practice our Arabic first hand with other Jordanians our age. It was a great idea on behalf of whoever actually thought of it and I know it will come in handy.

Before we left and after we returned, I ventured out onto the roof of our apartment building. I am on the top floor and so the door to the roof is only up  few stairs. It was a breathtaking view.




The second picture posted is to the north of us. The mountains in the back are the border between Jordan Syria. There is a town on the top of one of the peaks. We are not sure what country it lies in. There is no signal that from where we are that there is conflict just across those mountains. In fact, most of the time it is very quiet where we are. It is just hard to fathom that something so detrimental to a country and a population can lie so close to where I am, yet I wouldn't even know the difference. For my safety, I am glad. But for the intelligent part of my that is craving more knowledge about the crisis, I wish I could learn first hand. But I am in reality and so a news source will have to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment