Sunday, May 26, 2013

Best Day Yet - First Experience Of A Souk

Yesterday we visited a souk  which is an outdoor market. Picture vendors in New York City but just streets and streets and streets worth of them. You can find anything and everything there - and for cheap. It was great. I found some jewelry from a Syrian vendor who must likely fled from the civil war (he was selling Free Syrian Army gear). I also bought another duffel bag to use as a larger carry on because I know I will be bringing stuff home with me, especially for the prices items are sold at. So we walked around for a few hours, looking into all the shops. There are some things I cannot go home without, such as a new scarf. There are shops dedicated to the selling of scarves in Jordan (because many women wear the hijab here) and they sell beautiful scarves. However, on only my fourth day here, I couldn't bring myseld to spend a chunk of money already on scarves. I need to hold onto my self-restraint while here.



In the farmer's market portion of the souk  there is fresh, organic (mostly) fruits and veggies and they are some of the best tasting produce I've ever had. Seeing all the colors lined up is such an experience in itself. They have barrels of spices on every corner, and the smell is wonderful. Everything is so natural and from the earth here. I wish this was the norm in the US. But the one thing I have to talk about is the kindess of the people in the market. The group of us would walk into a store and use the casual, slang greetings and people's faces would light up. They don't expect us to know such slang, as most people learn formal Arabic, or none at all. It is a great feeling to know that they know that we have taken the time to study Arabic to be able to communicate with the people of Jordan. It makes me feel like I am doing something right by going out of my way to understand, appreciate, and learn the language and culture of here. And with our Arabic we would be able to respond to the ever-present question of "Where are you from?" And we would reply with "Amrika!" and they would want to talk more than ever! To see Americans coming to their country and learning their language seems to brighten their day! And some vendors would even be so kind to give us free things, such as chocolate or grape leaves. We felt terrible but they insisted. So generous!

But one of the best parts of the souq was when we bought nan. It was my first experience with the bread and it was god-sent. So simple, yet so tasty and only a quarter of a dollar for 2 large circles probably a foot and a half in diameter. The bread stayed warm too, as we perused the goods in the market. Such a simple activity, but one that made us all so happy.

I love Jordan. The people, the culture, today's weather, the food. Everything. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're having such a great time, Midge! I loved reading about you being able to use the language and get such a good response from those to whom you were speaking. Keep up the blog with pictures!

    ReplyDelete