Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Castle, A Colosseum, and the Capital

On Saturday we ventured out on our first weekend excursion. This was a one day trip to Amman, the capital of Jordan, and to Ajloun and Jerash. Ajloun is an ancient castle that was built during the crusades in 1184 and it sits on top of the highest peak in the area, which is not only very hilly but also is surrounded by a valley.

We only spent about 45 minutes there because basically all their is to do is climb through the castle to get to the top where there was an incredible view of the surrounding area. There were mountains on all sides and more mountains behind those mountains. Definitely a good place to keep a lookout for approaching armies all those centuries ago. Inside, there was a small museum with ancient artifacts. They consisted mostly of bowls and jugs but there were a few treasures, including totally intact colored glasses and a cross from the crusades. There were also several mosaics that had survived the years, minus some weathering around the edges. The inside of the castle was slippery due to all the wear the rocks have gotten throughout the years (centuries I should say). And the rocks are not suitable for quick climbing. They are uneven shapes and sizes. I thought humans were tinier back then? People must have slipped or they must have owned better shoes than me.

This was my second encounter with an old castle, my first being Blarney Castle in Ireland, built in the 1400s. But nonetheless, it was very exciting. Castles are great. Especially in the Jordanian heat. Not surprisingly, the castle was very cool inside, the heat trapped by the rocks.

We went to our first gift shop and of course had to buy several things, including fun hats to keep the sun out of our eyes. It made us look more like an American tourist more so than anything else, but it was worth the 3 dinar I paid for it.









After we were done, we hopped back on the bus to drive to our next destination: Jerash. We were on a tight time schedule and despite the hills and small gaps between the cars on either side of the road, our bus flew. Like I've said before: if you can drive in Jordan, you can drive anywhere. You think the bus won't fit? Oh it can. Always. And I haven't seen an accident yet between any two vehicles here. Anyway, so we're driving and the city is so cool. It is like something out of a movie where people are chasing each other in cars of motorcycles or something. Its just alleyways and curving streets leading in different directions and hills and people walking everywhere. And the coolest part was that the houses are built into the hills.

So Jerash is an ancient Greco-Roman city. This was my first encounter with a site from ancient history and I loved everything about it (except the heat of midday, but at least my new sun hat came in handy). And to be honest, it is still in great shape seeing that it was built sometime before 300 B.C. and has lived through several earthquakes. Alexander the Great has walked where I walked. That is crazy.




The ruins are beautiful. There is a huge archway that is preserved and the other large part to the ruins is the amphitheater. It is HUGE. I've never seen something so large. We climbed to the top and we could see everything. People actually climbed this to watch theatre or some other form of entertainment. It was quite a climb if I do say so. But so worth it.








Again, we got back on the bus after a quick rest, some water and some shade. We were making our way to Amman. Amman is unlike the rest of the country. It is very modern and the shops are more westernized and most things for that matter.  We went firstly to the top which is huge and has many stores and restaurants us Americans love dearly like H&M and Chile's and Pinkberry and the best of all, Starbucks. I treated myself to a grande caramel chocolate chip frappacino with a chocolate chip cookie on the side and it was just what I wanted. It was like dessert in a coffee. Everything in the stores was expensive since it was Amman and so we didn't buy anything but we set out to explore the city a bit by bus. They took us past the US Embassy which was very interesting. It is heavily armed with men stationed in jeep-like vehicles pointing there guns to everyone driving by. They even have signs saying you can't take pictures. It was sort of bizarre. But I guess this is a crazy time over here and so they need to be careful? I have no idea. It was a huge building and surrounded by a large gate and fence so I couldn't see much besides plenty of massive satellite dishes on the roof.


After the mall, we changed pace a little and visited a mosque. It is one of the largest in the country and holds an original letter written by the Prophet Muhammed to some important figure in history asking for peace. There was also one of his hairs that was held by tweezers and magnified  but I still had trouble seeing it. And there was also an offspring of the tree he apparently used to sit under. It was fascinating. Whether you believe it or not is one thing but the idea of it is a whole other. What it means to others is fascinating. We were allowed inside the mosque, but we had to cover our hair, which I didn't mind actually. I did it out of respect, no questions asked (I didn't have a choice if I wanted to enter) but it didn't cross my mind to question it.

Being inside the mosque was very beautiful. And most of all it was peaceful. One of the most peaceful places I have experienced so far in life. We were there as the Call to Prayer began as well and something my professor had told me earlier came true: that no matter what you believe or how strongly, the call to prayer resonated through you when you are inside the area from which it is being projected. It was unbelievable  It just fills you with good. And brings you closer to God almost, whatever one you believe in. It was a beautiful moment and I am glad I got to witness it.


After we went to a very famous street called Rainbow Street. it is very Western with all its shops and cafes. It even had a Nestle Toll House store. And when we began to drive away towards the restaurant we would eat dinner at, I was in awe at the sight of the outskirts of Amman where the houses are stacked into the hill, more so than in Ajloun. It was unbelievable! Just house after house, up and down the rolling hills.


For dinner we ate at this lavish restaurant that had fountains and tapestries hanging from the ceiling and was huge! So much larger than restaurants at home. The grilled chicken I got was fantastic as was the salad. It was mostly made up of cucumbers and tomatoes like many of the salads here and is drizzled with lemon it tasted like. Either way, it was just so healthy and fresh, like everything here. And I was craving watermelon, and just like that, they bring it out on huge platters. It is melon season here I've been told and I could not be more excited. Watermelon here is some of the best I've ever had.

This was a great start to our trips. This coming weekend: Aqaba, Petra, and Wadi Rum and I am so very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment