Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I can cook?

Hellllllo again. This week has been busy but what else is new? I have just finished my first 300 word essay in Arabic about the Syrian refugees in Jordan. I consider that quite an accomplishment and I am very proud of myself! And for once, we did not have much other homework tonight so my roommate Vanessa and I decided to watch my favorite movie: Tangled. It is life-changing! Just ask anyone who has seen it and don't listen to anyone who hasn't!

Anyway, prior to watching the movie, we went to the souk again! It was a busy time of day - we went at 3 pm. But we were only there for about an hour and a half and a girl can do some damage to her wallet in that short amount of time. It gave me the opportunity to purchase more scarves. Now, Jordan and other countries in the Middle East are scarf heavens because many women wear the hijab here. Therefore, they wear scarves to cover their hair and neck every day. Lucky for me, this means there are entire stores dedicated to only scarves. HEAVEN. And even better, they usually cost about 2-3 JD which is about $3-4 in the US. I can deal with that price. I am already planning on buying in bulk and bringing an entire suitcase back with me. Okay, that's a bit much, but when I have already purchased 5... who knows what will happen. No complaints over here though.

The clock tower in the center of the souk.

We also went back to the produce section of the souk to buy some fresh veggies for our planned stir fry the girls and I were planning on making for dinner. I purchased 2 peppers and I paid 20 piastras (equivalent to cents) total. I questioned it as soon as I heard it. "Piastras?" I asked. "No, dinars" another boy joked.  Life is good here when you only have to pay a fraction of a dollar for fresh fruit and veggies. I also tried a Jordanian slushy and my first response was "mmm sugar". They are very good here, perhaps more flavorful than the slush puppies I purchased from the beach every year as a kid (and still do)! Again, only 20 piastras.

It is also just very enjoyable to walk around the souk where so many people are all the time. On the way there I brought up how I always see many adults out during the day, whether it be women or men. And after some discussion, we came to the conclusion that young women and men, especially with degrees cannot find jobs. It is a terrible problem in the Middle East. It was a factor in several of the Arab Spring Revolutions. And we think we have it bad.

Speaking of education, there is one stereotype that I am very excited to claim as false: women are not educated in the Middle East. False. Women are just as educated, if not more. This is because men work and find a job because supporting your family or yourself is more important than an education for many men. But many women are in fact educated at the higher levels. The University of Science and Technology that we attend has more women than men, just like Conn does! Except this is a university for engineering, medicine, computers, pharmaceutical, and linguistics, among other subjects. It is safe to say that these are the smartest students - and women - in Jordan for the most part.

Anyway, in case anyone was wondering, I used the peppers in our stir fry and cooked I think for the first time in my life. And was successful. Just some basic ingredients of fresh peppers, broccoli, carrots, onion, and garlic with a little bit of olive oil (also their secret to long lives here) and it was actually pretty good. I rewarded myself with a large spoonful (or many) of Nutella. Which comes in a glass jar. Oh, Jordan.

It is 11:41 here. Perhaps I will go to bed early tonight. Jordanians do not sleep and I seem to have somehow caught on to that habit, going to bed anytime between 2 and 4 am every night. I don't know how they do it! Or right, their Turkish coffee and exceptionally strong tea here. Caffeine, caffeine, caffeine is their secret I suppose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment