Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Delicious Meal, a Beautiful View, and a Wise Man to Create the Perfect Evening

So yesterday was an awesome day. We started off the day by sleeping in as laste as our hearts desired and did nothing for the rest of the afternoon. As 7 pm approached, we boarded the bus to venture out to my Professor Waed's family's house. It sits on top of a hill called Mother of the Wind because it is the highest point in the city of Irbid and it is very windy, obviously. First off, her house is gorgeous - fancy moldings and furniture, ornate decorations and most importantly, a lovely family to fill it.



Her family welcomed us students into their homes right away and fed us one of the greatest meals we will have on this entire trip. It is Mansaf and it is the national dish of Jordan. It is comprised of lamb, rice, and a cooked yogurt mixed with other things. Now, lamb is not something that is in my diet a lot, if ever. I've only had one experience with it when I was ten years old when I received my First Communion and I have not had it since. I thought I would never eat it again but here I am. And it was magical. I did not put the yogurt on top due to my lactose-intolerance, sadly, but it was yummy nonetheless. They also feed us a proportion larger enough for 5+. There is no holding back here with food. At dinner professor Muhammed's father sat with us and talked to us about his time in Germany. He told us how the Germans are the greatest Europeans (hello that's where I come from) and how when they eat, they clean their plates. And it reminded me perfectly of my family and our "clean plate club"and not letting any food go to waste. It was a nice moment to be reminded of my family in a country that could not be any different from where I come from, but to have a Palestinian/Jordanian man feel so connected with Germany after living there for 20 years, a place where both of my great-grandparents originated from.

After dinner we had another very special experience: we were able to relax and hangout in none other than a UNHCR tent. Yes, that's right, a tent given out by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to the Syrian refugees, who sell their extra tents to the average Jordanian for money. So last night, we relaxed and drank tea while sitting on pillows inside a tent. It is a very ironic situation that we could enjoy ourselves so casually and comfortably while many refugees who live in the tents elsewhere are living lives under harsh conditions.



On a side note, the coffee here is only a few drops yet it is the strongest cup you'll ever drink (or that i've had so far in my life). And the tea is also different. They use a different part of the leaf here, the top which is stronger and so the tea tastest different. So I will be bringing some boxes home with me for all you tea lovers to try. They also put mint leaves and sugar in it to flavor it and it is so tasty. Ah!

So after we enjoyed our time inside the tent, we stood outside and looked out over the entire city of Irbid. No one even needed to speak in order to enjoy ourselves. Just being able to witness such an amazing view was enough. We were served watermelon for dessert (they serve fruit for dessert here a lot it seems, crazy right? Who needs sweets when you have fresh, organic watermelon).


However, suddenly we heard gunshots from the street and us students were so startled. Our faces definitely showed our shock, which led to Waed's family explaining that at weddings, people shoot gunshots into the air repeatedly as a way of celebration. It is a very interesting part of their culture, one could say. One part that I don't necessarily want to be around. I think that was the first time I've ever been around a gun shot. Many firsts here in Jordan! So we moved our chairs closer to the wall and away from the open area where Waed's wise father sat down with us and told us about life and the world, telling stories of people who live simple lives with little money and yet are very happy. Or how if we buy one coke here, it hurts someone somewhere else who needs to work to make the goods we want. He said at one point that there is a crime attached to every good we purchase because of the effects it has on those who have to make it. Later he told us how humans are the only species to kill for fun. And how we waste our health to make money, to put towards our health. So why not just focus on the basics of what we need in life to begin with? Food, water, family. He was very inspiring. He finished off the night by reciting a poer my Chaucer in Middle English. As a native English speaker I cannot even do that, and he did it without hesitation. He is a very intelligent and worldly man.

It is safe to say that it was a very memorable night here in Jordan with great friends, family and food. This trip would not be the same if not for my amazing two prfoessors, Waed and Muhammed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment