Sunday, June 16, 2013

First Time in Paradise

On Thursday morning we set off for a 3-day weekend to three different spots in southern Jordan: Aqaba, Wadi Rum, and Petra. Aqaba is a gulf in the Red Sea and it is so beautiful. The weather is always warm and sunny - every single day because it rarely rains here - and you are surrounded by crystal clear water on one side, desert on another, and then mountains frame the entire area. It is truly paradise.

It was a 7 hour journey from the north to the south with a stop for breakfast at a place called Hashem's. We had gone there once before on our trip to Amman and we decided to go again. They have the best falafel that I've had here so far and the best hummus. And their tea is also one of the best. Here in Jordan the only tea people drink is black but unlike in America, they only drink tea made from the top part of the leaf. Its the Lipton Yellow label in America. Anyway, so it is stronger and just tastes so much better. And they put a LOT of sugar in their tea here but its so good! I don't know if i'll be able to return to drinking tea like I used to with milk.

So we hit the road from Irbid finally around 10 am and we were on our way. You could feel the excitement on the bus. Everybody was very ready to relax for a few days and treat ourselves however we saw fit. Our wallets were full and our minds were turned off from school work.

We stopped in Amman for a bathroom break and that is when I had another first here - I had to pee in a hole in the ground. I have been waiting for the moment when I would have to do it. It was a struggle, but I figured it out and got the job done. Everything is an experience, is what I tell myself.

After a very long drive coupled with an inability to sleep on a bus, I arrived to the Intercontinental hotel where we stayed a very happy girl. I was finally here. We walk into the hotel and it is lovely. I have never been in something so nice! Our professors had told us they put us in 5-star hotels before we even arrived in Jordan because we deserve it and I was so glad they did. There were several pools all connected to each other, a swim up bar, a spa, a private beach, so many things! Our room had a spectacular view as well.

We wasted no time and went right up to our rooms to change into bathing suits and hit the pool and the beach. When you have less than 24 hours in paradise, you need to take advantage of every second. So we spent the afternoon hanging out in the sun, just relaxing. The Red Sea is so gorgeous and so clear.


It was also a time where we could reflect because it was such a peaceful atmosphere. I realized that I was in the same body of water that Moses parted in the Bible. It has religious significance and thousands of years later I can be in the same places mentioned in the Bible. 

Later in the evening we all went out to dinner at the yacht club. Zac, who had come on this trip last year as well, knew of the place because he went there last year and so we decided to go again. And it was so worth it. I ordered a pepper steak and it was one of the best pieces of steak I ever had. It was so tender and so tasty. And finally, even though it was only one slice, I had a potato. Of all things I miss form home, it is potatoes. Jordanians just don't eat them as regularly as I would like I guess. We also purchased 2 bottles of wine for the 9 of us and I felt very classy. And it was just so much fun. I love hanging out with this group of students. We all get along so well and enjoy each other's company. 
We walked back to the hotel because it was a short walk and it the weather was beautiful. I hung out with 3 other girls and we ordered room service. Two ordered grilled cheese, however, the hotel took it literally and grilled a few slices of cheese. It wasn't good from what I gathered... Next time, we know to clarify. 
And so we slept and woke up early the next day, running on only a few hours of sleep. But we needed to make the most of Aqaba. We went to the buffet breakfast and it was phenomenal. After, we went back to soak up some more sun before we had to leave. A few of us went to the dock to sit further out into the sea. And bouncing up and down just watching jet skis and boats pass by was just what I wanted. I wish I was on one of the boats, but I'll take what I can get. And I can't really complain about these 20~ hours. 



On our way out of Aqaba we stopped at a mall which was also known as China Town. I have no idea why. Inside, it was a mix between Christmas Tree Shop, Michaels, and Marshalls. Very interesting place. 

And so, midday, we left with heavy hearts and almost tears in our eyes but also with excitement as we headed for our next adventure in Wadi Rum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment