Sunday, June 16, 2013

Wadi Rum

Friday afternoon we drove for a few hours until we reached the desert where we would spend our evening. Before I begin, I just want to say I think this day may have been the best day of my life.

We drove through the desert, almost getting stuck in the sand at one point, until we made it to a Bedouin camp. They ushered us inside a huge tent where there was seating and we were served tea. It was the best cup I have had so far, and every cup here is off the charts. We were waiting until 5:30 rolled around because at the time we would hop onto the back of pick up trucks where there was seating and we would drive through the desert for two hours until sunset, when we would watch it from high up on a rock. I had been looking forward to this moment all trip.


And so when the time came, we hopped on and I just so happened to pick the vanguard of the three trucks and also the best driver - or craziest for that matter. We drove off into the desert and we were surrounded on all sides but massive rocks scattered throughout the area. We drove on no roads, just paths used by the trucks to carry tourists. Still, it is a very bumpy ride. At first we went a little slow and I had expected to go faster. But then once we hit a certain point my driver just took off and I felt so free.  We were flying through the desert and we left the other two trucks with the rest of my group in the dust - literally. The driver took us over hills, sideways on hills, swerved in every direction, just to make the ride 100 times more exhilarating and fun.







We stopped a few times. The first place we stopped was at a hidden place bewteen a few rocks where archaeologists had discovered a map carved into the stone of Petra. It showed the hills and the valleys, our driver said. It is over 2,500 years old. To get out we could go the way we came or climb down a steep side of the rock I chose the  steep side of the rock. And then I climbed a little higher and higher, because I just felt so free and what better place to rock climb than in a valley with sandstone and granite rocks waiting to be climbed. I couldn't not climb any rocks while I was there.

We got back on the trucks and drove around some more. I stood up and held onto the bars and with the wind blowing all around me while I admired the natural beauty of Wadi Rum, I couldn't help but scream "This is the best day ever!"

We stopped at an area where there were these plants that people of the valley had once used to make soap. We tried it and it was so cool! All you have to do is break the plant into little pieces to release the oils, mix with water and rub your hand together really fast and it turns into soap! All natural too.

After, we stopped at a place where there was basically a wall of sand on the side of one of the rocks. And we got to climb it! Except it was a challlllenge. But worth it to get to the top and over look the valley. Getting down was the best part though because the sand absorbs all your movement so you can jump into it and not slide anywhere or leap down as I did and not slip or fall or anything.

Closer to sunset, we stopped on the top of another hill where we took pictures and had fun in the sand.



And now it was time for the sunset. We drove really fast one last time over bumps and hills. We passed a huge caravan of camels on our way which was truly a sight to see. And we stopped at this huge rock that we would climb to get to the top to see the sunset. It was an easy climb. It basically had ramps that we could walk up built into the stone. And we got to the top and were rewarded with a beautiful sunset. The wind was fierce as we sat there and enjoyed looking out at nature and the sun, enjoying each other's company.



We climbed down and made our way back to the camp for dinner. We ate a traditional dinner in which the food is cooked in pots that are buried in the sand. It was really good! There was even a pasta salad to cater to the tourists. We sat around, played with some kittens and talked and then I was pulled aside by my professor who earlier asked me to take part in a mock Bedouin wedding. So I agreed to and I donned a traditional dress and a hijab and was "presented"with Chris, another boy in my program to all the visitors in the camp. My professor, Waed, even took the liberty to apply  bright red lipstick to me, quite generously. We danced and had a good time and it was a very interesting experience being fully covered. I had never been prior to the moment. It was a learning experience to feel even for a short period of time what it is like to walk in a long dress and have your face covered (this only happened for moment or two because it kept falling into my face. For a majority of the time my face was kept visible).

As we left the camp, my professor asked our bus driver to pull over in a dark area so we may look at the stars. And it was a magical experience. I have never seen so many stars in my life. I felt so small standing the dessert with the entire universe above me. It was so clear that night that we could even see the Milky Way, which resembles a light cloud in the sky. It was almost a spiritual experience. It was nearly overwhelming to be able to see so much of the universe. I even saw a shooting star! I could have stayed there forever just looking up at the stars and constellations and the moon.

Being in Jordan has made me realize how small each of us really is and how much more there is to life than just what is happening around you.

It was a remarkable day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment